Are your life's most precious possessions at risk? How to check if you are under-insured

October 15, 2015 | 7years | Insurance News

It can be a huge blow when household disaster strikes but knowing you are properly insured can help soften the impact on your wallet at least.

Therefore making sure you have sufficient buildings and contents protection if the worst happens should be a top priority.

This doesn’t stop after choosing the right policy. It is essential to keep your insurance up to date, otherwise you risk under-insuring yourself, or invalidating your policy altogether.

Buildings vs contents insurance

The first important thing you need to know is that while buildings insurance covers the actual structure of your home, contents insurance should include protection for all of your belongings inside the property.

If you own your own home then building insurance will likely have been a condition of your mortgage to make sure your investment is protected. Landlords are responsible for the cover for flats and homes being rented.

Policies cover the actual structure of your property including most fitted appliances, such as kitchens, wardrobes and bathrooms, paying out should it need to be rebuilt or repaired.

To continue reading this article follow this link: